2. Keep your feet down. The best way to survive a fall is to avoid hitting your head. People who land on their head almost always die, even if it was just from a few stories. While landing on your feet can sometimes cause pelvic injuries, it is a much safer bet than landing head first.
- Keep your legs and feet tight pressed against each other so that both of your feet hit the ground at the same time.
- If you find yourself falling out a window head first, try to quickly reposition yourself so your feet will be the first thing to hit the ground. A fall from a second story window takes only seconds so you must act quickly.
3. Lower your body. If you are trying to escape from a window and you can avoid jumping, it is best to hold onto the windowsill or ledge, lower yourself to arms length, and drop from there. This will shorten the distance between you and the ground and therefore, reduce the impact.
- Before you fall, push off a bit with your feet and hands to make sure you clear the wall.